Before You Leave
Your exchange stay is nearing its end. Before leaving, you will have to take care of some organizational matters at the University and in the city. The following points should serve as an orientation for you.
Please find here a list of important steps before you return to your home country. Please note that not all points might apply to you.
- Report at the International Office during your last week of stay and get your Confirmation of Departure signed! You can use your Confirmation of Departure to cancel contracts, de-register with the city, etc.
- Inform your departmental coordinator of your leaving!
- Please check that you have done all necessary steps in Mobility Online.
- Print your Transcript of Records (if already possible). Should you need a version with stamp and signature, please ask for one at the Office of Student and Examination Services of your campus. After the end of your last semester at TH Köln, you will still have access to PSSO for 6 months in case not all of your exams have been booked when you leave.
- Access to your smail address: If you need further access to your smail address, for example to secure important e-mails, please apply to the Campus IT. Otherwise your access will be blocked with your exmatriculation.
- Access to ILIAS: Your access to ILIAS expires with your exmatriculation. You should therefore save everything that you need from ILIAS before you exmatriculate yourself.
- Notice of lease cancellation at KSTW or with your landlord: Make sure to cancel your rental contract on time. Otherwise you might end up having to pay for months when you are already at home.
- Make an appointment with dorm administration / caretaker / landlord concerning your moving out: This is important because you will have to return the keys and your room will be checked to see if you get your full safety deposit back. Make sure that the room looks like on your moving in date to be on the safe side.
- Cancellation of bank account if you have opened one. You might need to exmatriculate for this step. You can ask for an official exmatriculation certificate at the Office of Student and Examination Services of your campus.
- Cancellation of German health insurance if you had obtained one. You might need to exmatriculate for this step. You can ask for an official exmatriculation certificate at the Office of Student and Examination Services of your campus.
- Deregistration at Residents' Office. Make sure to let the residents’ registration office know that you are leaving.
- Deregister from the Public Broadcasting Licence Fee. (Please choose: "Ich möchte eine Wohnung abmelden, weil ich dauerhaft ins Ausland ziehe.") You will need your deregistration from the Resident's Office.
- Return all library books.
- Spend the remaining balance on your MultiCa.
- Sign off KARIBU mailing-list.
- Sign off other contracts/obligations (e.g. mobile phone, internet, gym, etc.).
We wish all exchange students a save journey home and success for your further studies.
We would appreciate hearing from you if you come back to Cologne in the future.