Leave of Absence
In compliance with TH Köln's enrollment regulations, students may be granted a leave of absence if they are able to present a valid reason. Reasons for requesting a leave of absence and further information can be found on this page.
Reasons for requesting a leave of absence
- German volunteer service (Bundesfreiwilligendienst) or a Voluntary Social/Ecological Year ("Freiwilliges Soziales/Ökologisches Jahr)
- nursing and care of minors in compliance with section 25 (5) of the German Federal Training Assistance Act (biological children, adopted and foster children, children of one's spouse or partner who live in the same household, grandchildren living in the same household)
- absence from Cologne for reasons which are in the university’s interest or are due to participation in a research project (please submit a confirmation from your faculty)
- studies abroad, unless your program includes a mandatory semester abroad (please submit a confirmation from your faculty)
- program-related internship (please submit a confirmation from your faculty)
Requesting a leave of absence
A leave of absence is to be requested by the re-registration deadline. It is normally granted for the duration of one semester. In case of a leave of absence of more than 6 months' duration, the rights and duties enrollment at TH Köln entails will be suspended. For more information, please contact your Office of Student Services.
Payment of fees during leave of absence
You will only be exempt from the mandatory payment of the administrative fee for the Kölner Studierendenwerk if you take a leave of absence to study abroad or due to illness.
In general, students on leave are not entitled to receive a student public transport pass ("Semester Ticket"). Exceptions are only possible if a leave of absence was requested for one of the following reasons: care of minor children or relatives in need of care, semester abroad, internship outside of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Taking exams while on leave
Students on leave are not entitled to participate in any form of assessment, obtain credits nor take examinations unless:
- they have to retake a failed examination or have to obtain credits / meet participation requirements that are a result of the semester abroad or internship semester for which they have been granted leave of absence.
- they have been granted leave of absence on the grounds of having to care for and rear a child in compliance with section 25 (5) of the German Federal Training Assistance Act as well as for reasons of having to care for a spouse, a registered partner, a relative in direct line of descent or a brothers or sister in-law.