International Scholar Services (ISS)
The International Scholar Services are a point of contact for issues related to stays of international scholars and staff. They advise and support guest scholars at the university, faculties who want to host a guest scholar as well as TH staff members who plan to stay abroad.
International guest scholars, who can be recruited for a temporary stay at TH Köln are an integral part of the university’s Internationalization@home strategy. Their knowledge and perspectives directly enhance the cultural and academic diversity of research and teaching. The same applies to TH members, who gain experience abroad for teaching and research purposes over a certain period of time and bring their experience back to the university. Students and staff, especially those who do not opt for a stay abroad, benefit from these experiences. The personal contact that occurs during mobility establishes and encourages long-term (strategic) new partnerships and networks in the international field of science.
That is why it is an important goal for TH Köln to promote mobility and exchange of scholarly and non-scholarly personnel. An important measure to reach the above-mentioned goals is setting up International Scholar Services (ISS) at a central level within the Department of International Affairs.
Our services for international scholars, exchange doctoral candidates and international staff:
- Advice on visa and residence law, health insurance, residence registration, opening a bank account and other formalities
- (Limited help) with finding accommodation
- Welcome and orientation at the university
- Providing a welcome package after arrival (including a guest MultiCa, a campusID and an email address)
- Providing offers from various central institutions, such as the Language Learning Center, the Graduate Center, the Center for Academic Development, etc.
- Information on life in Cologne/ Gummersbach/ Leverkusen
- Help with family members during stays in cooperation with the Family Services Office (information on looking for childcare, school registration)
- Organization of leisure time and networking activities at the TH and in Cologne
- Special offers for alumni
Our services for potential hosts:
- Providing potential hosts in faculties with advice and support on organizing and handling guest stays
- Information about subsidy programs for hosting guest scholars as well as support for procuring external funding
Our services for TH members who are planning a stay abroad:
- Information and advice on organizational issues and subsidy programs
The International Scholar Services are glad to give you advice in person, over the phone or by email.
Opening hours for guest scholars at Südstadt Campus:
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. - 12 noon
- Thursday: 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Currently, we do not offer in-person consultations due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, we also offer appointments via Zoom. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Martina Brüderle by email: email@example.com