Equality as a matter of course
Equal opportunities, (gender) diversity and equality are integrated concepts at TH Köln.
Equality between men and women remains a particularly important issue, promoted by the specific EU policy on gender mainstreaming (where equality issues are visible in the mainstream of society and are automatically included in political and organizational decision-making processes), as well as by the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany (Grundgesetz der Bundesrepublik Deutschland), the German constitution, and the Regional Equality Law (Landesgleichstellungsgesetz) of North Rhine-Westphalia. At TH Köln, equality is embedded in all areas of the university as a mainstream issue.
The Equal Opportunities Office, headed by the Central Equal Opportunities Officer, has more than 25 years of experience to look back on (NB: linked document is in German only). Its main job today – besides various counseling services – is to strengthen gender equality in organizational development at TH Köln through the following activities:
- Involvement of the Equal Opportunities Officer in committees (university council, senate, executive committee, etc.)
- Involvement of the Equal Opportunities Officer in appointment and recruitment procedures
- Identification of existing disadvantages and instances of discrimination
- Assistance in removing structural discrimination
- Initiation of projects and funding schemes that promote equal opportunities