Double Degree Vehicle Development (Bachelor)
Why not study and gain practical experience in one of the strongest exporting and importing countries in the world? Students of the Bachelor in Vehicle Development have the opportunity to do just that by participating in the double degree program with Tec de Monterrey in Mexico.
TH Köln is a long-standing member of the German University Consortium for International Cooperation (DHIK, for short). As part of this university consortium, you will have the opportunity to participate in a dual degree program at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Tec de Monterrey for short.
The Tec de Monterrey is the largest private university south of the USA with over 100,000 students and is one of the elite universities in South and Central America. Tec de Monterrey spans 31 campuses all over Mexico and actively supports exchange students in choosing a course, refining their language skills, looking for accommodation and offers a cultural program.
At a Glance
|Partner University||Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (Tec de Monterrey)|
|Degree at TH Köln||Vehicle Development (B.Eng.)|
|Degree at the Partner University||Mechanical Engineering (with specialization in Automotive Engineering) (B.Sc.)|
|Lecture Period at the Partner University||WiSe: August to December; SoSe: February to June|
|Language of Instruction||English; Spanish, if desired|
|Start of Program||Winter semester|
|Program Coordinator||Prof. Dr. Axel Faßbender|
|Program Coordination Assistant||Yvette Gossel|
|Information Material||Infopresentation Tec de Monterrey (pdf, 991 KB)|
|Film about Tec de Monterrey in Querétaro [Youtube]|
The double degree program includes a semester of study (August-December) in English at Tec de Monterrey, which you can currently only complete at the site in Monterrey. Afterwards, you will do a five-month practical phase (January-May) in an industrial company located in Mexico, often branches of German companies. Then you have the choice of writing your Bachelor's thesis at Tec de Monterrey or at TH Köln.
- Letter of motivation (max. 2 pages, including information about your language skills)
- Current transcript of records (requires at least 120 ECTS in program-specific modules at the beginning of your exchange). In order to facilitate the recognition of your achievements at the partner university, we recommend that you first take the compulsory modules at TH Köln and reserve the elective modules for your stay abroad at Tec de Monterrey.
- List of modules for studying in Mexico (available from the program coordinator)
- Proof of English language skills)* (B2 level) through TOEFL, IELTS, DAAD language certificate or other language certificates
- Basic knowledge of Spanish)**
)*In order to receive the Mexican Bachelor degree, you must – in order to prove your English language proficiency - be able to present a TOEFL with at least 550 points (level C1) or – if you should study in Spanish - a certificate "advanced level" through the online test of Tec de Monterrey by the end of your stay.
)**Participation in a Spanish course must be proven by April 30, 2023 (e.g. by the certificate of attendance of a language course or a language certificate).
Please submit your application documents via email (as one PDF) to Katleen Schünemeyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Department of International Affairs.
The application documents of all applicants are collected in the Department of International Affairs. Subsequently, in cooperation with the program coordinator at the faculty, a ranking of all applicants will be created and forwarded to the corresponding DHIK subject coordinators of the respective degree program. Once your qualifications have been checked and the available study places at Tec de Monterrey have been determined, the consortium (DHIK) will inform you directly by email on how and by which deadline you must register in the online portal.
- Recognition of academic achievements
- Possibility of an additional Mexican bachelor's degree
- Study at an elite university with no tuition fees
- Integrated internship in Mexico
- Studying in English or Spanish possible
- Professional support on site
- Intercultural preparatory seminar in Germany
Being the early bird is key! Start looking for suitable funding or scholarship opportunities as early as possible. Listed below are some programs that may be a fit for you:
- Auslands-BAföG [in German]
- PROMOS-scholarship (travel expenses for semester abroad)
- HAW International (DAAD) [in German]
- Combined study and internship semesters abroad for students (DAAD) [in German]
- Heinrich J. Klein Förderstiftung
- Mexican Government Scholarships for International Students
However, there are also a large number of public and private organizations and foundations that support student mobility abroad.