Contact & Service


Office of Student and Examination Services
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student and Examination Services.

FAQ - Examinations

Below, you will find answers to most questions concerning examinations.

+What is a module examination?

Module examinations are individual components of the Diplom, Bachelor’s or Master’s examination and are taken throughout the program. Module examinations complete the corresponding modules and equip students with a partial qualification related to the respective program. A module examination may be one single examination or several, combined examinations.

In order to take a module examination, students are required to register for it up front (in due time). They also have to meet possible admission requirements, such as having successfully completed other module examinations. The admission requirements are stated in the respective examination regulations. The grade for the passed module examination is accounted for in the calculation of the final grade. Students are awarded the number of credits assigned to the module, when passing an examination. If a student fails a module examination the first attempt, he/she may retake this exam up to two times. If a student irreversibly fails a module examination, he/she is not allowed to continue his/her studies in this program – neither at TH Köln nor at a different German institution of higher education. This may even effect related programs.

+What is a certificate of attendance?

Certificates of attendance are ungraded examinations. In order to be awarded a certificate of attendance students must satisfy the course requirements by attending in person, demonstrating active contribution as well as subject-related involvement, being prepared for the course and performing follow-up course work.

+What is an attestation / intermediate attestation?

An attestation/intermediate attestation certifies that a student has written a seminar paper (e.g. a draft) in the scope required.

+What is a term paper?

A term paper (e.g. a case study, research paper) is related to the respective course and includes an independent, practical, creative or theoretical completion of an assignment. In doing so, students have to use suitable literature as well as to complete the term paper in due time.

+Do I have to do an internship / semester abroad?

Some programs either include a mandatory internship or provide students the opportunity to do an internship on a voluntary basis. The internship is to give students the opportunity to gain professional experience in program-related fields. By working in organizations, companies or institutions and solving assignments in practice, students are provided an insight into the duties of their future profession. In particular, the internship is designed to apply knowledge and skills obtained throughout their studies in practice as well as to reflect on and evaluate the professional experience gained during the internship. Usually the duration of the internship is 22 weeks. TH Köln assists students by offering preparatory as well as follow-up courses corresponding to their internship. Please refer to your program's examination and internship regulations for detailed information.

Some examination regulations, such as the regulations for the Bachelor’s program in Multilingual Communication, schedule the internship to be spent abroad. Please find additional information in the examination regulations of the respective program.

+What rights do I have due to my disability or chronic disease?

When designing an examination, it is to guarantee that disabled students, students with chronic diseases or mental illness will not be at a disadvantage wherever possible. If the examinee proves – by submitting a medical certificate or in a different manner – that he/she is not capable of completely or partly taking the examination in its intended form due to a permanent physical disability, chronic disease or mental illness, the chairperson of the examination board may decide on an adequate disadvantage compensation. The student is required to request a disadvantage compensation completely and in due time (normally when registering for the examination, two months prior to the examination date).

+Where do I find forms and information on my degree program?

For detailed information on your degree program, please visit our program overview and select your program.