Contact & Service


Office of Student and Examination Services
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student and Examination Services.

Withdrawal from examinations

After the deadline for cancelling a registration for an exam (usually one week prior to the examination) has passed, students need to present a valid reason in order to withdraw from an examination.

If the Examination Board authorizes your withdrawal, your corresponding registration will be deleted and you will not lose an examination attempt. Therefore, the reasons for missing or withdrawing from an exam must be forwarded to the responsible Examination Board in writing and without delay and must be substantiated accordingly.

Please note that the Examination Board of your respective program may have adopted regulations which slightly differ from those stated above. Please contact your Office of Student Services to inquire whether this is the case for your program.

Should you withdraw from an examination due to sickness, you are required to submit a medical certificate confirming that you are unable to take an exam on the examination date within three business days to the Office of Student and Examination Services.

Please note:
It is not sufficient if your physician confirms your incapacity of work. The certificate must clearly state that you are not able to take an exam. Your physician may add an annotation on the yellow medical certificate issued in case of incapacity of work ('Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung') or on the form which is available for download above. Other certificates cannot be accepted. Please submit the completed form in due time at the Office of Student and Examination Services, either attached to the medical certificate or alternatively with section 2 ('Erklärung des Arztes') completed by your physician. For further information [in German], see the withdrawal form ('Formular für die Bescheinigung der Prüfungsunfähigkeit').

If you are unable to take an examination you bindingly registered for due to the fact that your child is sick, please submit the medical certificate your pediatrician normally issues for employers ('Ärztliche Bescheinigung für den Bezug von Krankengeld bei Erkrankung des Kindes'; 'form 21') to the Office of Student Services. On this certificate, he/she is to confirm that your child is in need of nursing or care for reasons of sickness. By signing on the bottom half of the form, you confirm that no other person was able to handle this duty.

Potential costs incurred are to be borne by you. You are required to submit or mail your medical certificate immediately – usually within three days at the latest – to the Office of Student Services.