Study preparation and admission
You have taken refuge in Germany would like to begin your studies at TH Köln? Information on the necessary requirements, the application procedure and special offers for refugees can be found here.
If you are interested in studying at TH Köln there are two main prerequisites you need to fulfill in order to successfully apply.
Your school or university degree must entitle you to study in Germany - this means that your degree must be comparable to a German university entrance qualification (HZB). You can check this already in the database anabin. This database provides you with information on how your school leaving certificate (secondary school leaving certificate) is recognized in Germany. If you already have a degree from a university, you can also check in the database to see whether your university is recognized in Germany. Please note that the information in the Anabin database is not binding. Your certificates will not be properly verified until the official application process.
For a study program taught in English, you must prove at least the level of C1 in German at the time of application. If you are admitted to a study program with the German certificate C1, you must present a DSH-2 certificate or a comparable certificate, such as TestDaF with 16 points, before you begin your studies.
For an English-language course of study, you must prove that you have the appropriate knowledge of English.
If you can only prove the level of B2 in German, you can apply for the DSH preparation course at TH Köln. Participation in the DSH course is free of charge for refugees.
In addition to the DSH course, the language centre also offers German courses for refugees. These German courses are for applicants who have so far demonstrated German language skills at the level of A2.
Admission for refugee applicants
The first step to successfully apply for a degree program is to arrange a consultation in the International Office. Please use this e-mail: email@example.com. Please understand that a personal consultation can only take place with an appointment.
In most cases, you will have to apply through the application service uni-assist for the German courses of the Language Center as well as for your desired study programs. The application deadlines for international applicants from non-EU countries in the individual degree programmes apply. How do I apply correctly? The application procedure in detail.
You can find further information on the study programs offered by TH Köln, the requirements and application deadlines under the individual study programs's links. Select your desired degree programme and then click on "Application".
If, due to your flight, you no longer have any proof of your school certificates and/or university certificates, please contact the International Office for advice on your options.
If you are missing only certain documents, uni-assist must check in each individual case whether a valid university entrance qualification (HZB) exists. In this case uni-assist will provide you with an additional form for self-disclosure. We will then decide whether and under what conditions a course of study is still possible for you.
Uni-Assist Cost Exemption for Applicants with refugee background
The uni-assist application is free of charge for applicants with a refugee background if you apply for exemption from costs in addition to your application to uni-assist. To do so, you will need proof of your current residence status as well as a counselling certificate or proof of the result of a TestAS examination.
You will receive the counselling certificate after a consultation with the International Office and/or the Central Academic Advising Office. Please make an appointment for a consultation at the International Office first.
List of residence titles which qualify for participation in the free application process for refugees:
- Persons with a BÜMA/Ankunftsnachweis proof of arrival (asylum application registration prior to submission of the application under §63a AsylG)
- Asylum seekers (ongoing procedure – Aufenthaltsgestattung temporary residency permit under §55 AsylG)
- Tolerated persons (temporary suspension of deportation – tolerated stay under §60a AufenthG)
- Persons entitled to asylum under Art. 16a GG/1951 Refugee Convention (residency under §25 para. 1 AufenthG)
- Recognised refugees under §3 AsylG (residency under §25 para. 2 sentence 1/1. AufenthG)
- Persons entitled to subsidiary protection under §4 AsylG (residency under §25 para. 2 sentence 1/2. AufenthG)
- Persons with protection against deportation under §60 para. 5 and 7 AufenthG (residency under §25 para.3 AufenthG)
- Persons with residency status under §22 sentences 1 and 2, §23 para. 1, 2 and 4, §24 and §25 para. 5 AufenthG
- Relatives (parents, children, spouses) of recognised refugees they followed, refugees under the 1951 Refugee Convention and persons entitled to subsidiary protection may have access to the free procedure if they can provide the residency permit of the principal person entitled (the first relative to enter the country) under §29 para. 2, §30, §31, §32, §34 para. 1 and 2 and §36 AufenthG
- Persons with a „fictional certificate“ under §81 para. 3 and 4 AufenthG