Language Courses for Students
The Language Learning Center offers a wide range of courses in German as a Foreign Language, English, French, Italian and Spanish. All language modules and workshops are designed in accordance with the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). In addition, modules in German Sign Language have been offered since the winter semester 2020/21.
How to apply for a language course - 3 steps
Step 1: Check participation requirements
Placement tests and language courses are open to officially enrolled students and exchange students of TH Köln. Cross-registered students, auditing students and staff of TH Köln may not apply for a course place. Faculty specific language modules are limited to students of the respective faculties.
Step 2: Take placement test or provide proof of language skills
Taking the placement test is a prerequisite for participating in courses at the Language Learning Center. Placement tests are offered at the beginning of each semester.
You do not have to take a placement test if you
- want to register for one of our courses A1 French, A1 Italian, A1 Spanish or A1.1 German as a foreign language and have no prior knowledge of these languages.
- have done a placement test at the Language Learning Center in the preceding semester.
- have successfully completed a language course at the Language Learning Center within the past two years.
- can submit a certificate as proof that you have passed a language examination on a specified CEFR-level within the past two years. A scan of this certificate has to be sent to email@example.com before the date of the first placement test. Please note that school-leaving certificates / high school diplomas such as the German ‘Abitur’ or ‘Fachabitur’ cannot be accepted as certification of a language level.
Step 3: Register for a language course
Registering for a language course is only possible online during the registration period. In order to sign up, please choose your desired course and fill in the online registration form. You may only register for those language modules that you were assigned to based on your placement test result.
In order to open the registration form you will have to login using your valid campusID. If you have not received your campusID yet, please wait until you have received the email with your personal account data. If have not yet received your campusID one week before the end of the registration deadline, please contact us by e-mail, stating the course code and the title of your desired course or workshop. In this case we will send you a link so that you can register as a guest.
The maximum number of participants is 25 per course. Once the number of registrations exceeds the maximum number of participants, places will be awarded in a lottery procedure. After the registration deadline has expired we will inform you via email if you have been assigned a place in the course. Moving up from the waiting list is only possible during the first two weeks of the semester.
There is no legal claim to admission even if attending courses at the Language Learning Center should be mandatory in a certain degree program.
Preview: Language Courses for Students - Winter Semester 2021/22
Our placement tests and language modules during the winter semester 2021/22 will be offered online. Exact details of the program will be announced shortly.
- Registration for Placement Tests: Sep 1 - 26, 2021
- Placement Tests: Sep 6 - 30, 2021
- Online Course Registration: Sep 13 - Oct 4, 2021
- Course Duration: Oct 11, 2021 - Feb 4,2022
All dates are subject to change.
Taking the placement test is a prerequisite for participating in courses at the Language Learning Center. Placement tests are offered at the beginning of each semester. Show more
Language Courses for Students - Summer Semester 2021
(Please note that all dates are subject to change.) - Placement Test Registration: until Mar 28, 2021 - Placement Tests (online): Mar 08 - Mar 31, 2021 - Online Course Registration: Mar 15 - Apr 06, 21 - Course Duration: Apr 12 - Jul 23, 2021