FAQ - End-of-Study-Scholarships

We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answers about the end-of-study-scholarships of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for you here.

+ Do I count as a foreign national with foreign educational qualifications?

Foreign nationals with foreign educational qualifications are international students who have obtained their higher education entrance qualification

  • at a school abroad,
  • a foreign school in Germany or
  • at a German school abroad

or who supplemented their foreign higher education entrance qualification with a German Studienkolleg.

+ I am a PhD-student. May I apply?

No. Our call for applications is aimed exclusively at international degree-seeking students. If you have any questions regarding funding, please contact the Graduate Center.

+ I am an exchange student. May I apply?

No. Our call for applications is directed exclusively at international degree-seeking students who are completing their entire studies at TH Köln.

+ I am in my first semester. May I apply?

No. Our call for applications is directed exclusively at international degree-seeking students who are in the final phase of their studies and whose previous academic achievements indicate that a qualified degree will be achieved in a maximum of 12 months.

+ I have to go abroad for my final thesis. May I apply?

No. For this scholarship, you must be in Germany during the final phase.

If you are working on your thesis in the EU, you can apply for an Erasmus scholarship.

You can apply to PROMOS for stays outside the EU to prepare dissertations.

+ I (also) have the German citizenship. May I apply?

If, in addition to your foreign nationality, you also have the German citizenship or you only have the German nationality, you are not considered a foreign student - even if you completed your school education abroad. That is why you cannot apply for this scholarship.

+ I am a student at ifs internationale filmschule köln. May I apply?

If you are registered as a regular student at TH Köln, you may apply.

+ I have already applied in the last round, but I did not receive a scholarship. Unfortunately, my degree had to be delayed. May I reapply?


+ I have already received a scholarship for my Bachelor thesis. Now I am about to start my Master thesis. May I apply for a scholarship?


+ I already receive a scholarship through public funds. May I apply?

If students receive a partial scholarship through public funds, supplemental funding is permitted up to the amount of a full scholarship.

+ I receive BAföG. May I apply for the scholarship?

Yes, but you must declare the scholarship to the BAföG office, which will then check whether the BAföG rate will be reduced.

+ Who may write my letter of recommendation?

The letter of recommendation may be written by a lecturer of TH Köln.

The academic title of the lecturer is not important. The letter of recommendation should not be older than 3 months.

+ How high would the monthly scholarship rate be?

Students can receive up to 520 EUR per month, single parents may receive up to 934 EUR per month.

+ For how long can I get the scholarship?

You may receive the scholarship for a maximum of 6 months.

+ I have a part-time job. Am I allowed to work while I receive the scholarship?

Yes, this is possible.

In addition to a monthly scholarship of 520 EUR you may earn 934 EUR before taxes. If the sum of the scholarship and the income pre-tax exceeds the applicable limit of 1,454 EUR, the scholarship must be reduced by the corresponding overdraft. This limit is valid for each month in which the job is carried out.

Example: You earn 1,100 EUR pre-tax per month. So you earn 166 EUR too much. Your scholarship would be reduced by 166 EUR: You would receive a scholarship of 354 EUR.

If you earn more than 1,204 EUR pre-tax per month, you cannot receive a scholarship.

+ I am a single parent. How high would my scholarship rate be?

If you are a single parent, you can get a monthly scholarship of EUR 934.

If you work part-time, you can earn in addition to the scholarship EUR 520 pre-tax.

If you earn more than EUR 520 pre-tax, your scholarship will be reduced by the amount you earn too much.

Example: You earn EUR 800 pre-tax per month. That means you earn EUR 280 too much. Your scholarship for a Bachelor thesis would be reduced by EUR 280. You would receive a scholarship of EUR 654.

If you earn more than EUR 1,204 pre-tax per month, you cannot receive a scholarship.

+ What is my tax identification number and where do I find it?

A tax identification number (IdNr or also tax ID) is assigned to each person who is registered a primary place of residence or sole residence in a civil registry in Germany. It was sent to you by letter from the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt) after your initial registration with the city.

The IdNr consists of 11 digits and is valid for life.

You can find further information on the BZSt website.

If you do not know your number, you can ask to be notified again. This is only possible by post and can take up to 4 weeks.

+ How do I determine my responsible tax office?

The tax office responsible for you is determined by your registration address (the address you registered at the Residents' Registration Office).

Here you can search for the tax office using your zip code.