Contact & Service

Faculty of Social Sciences

TH Köln
Campus Südstadt
Ubierring 48, 50678 Köln


Departmental Coordinator

Sabine Becker

Angewandte Sozialwissenschaften

  • Campus Südstadt
    Ubierring 48
    50678 Köln
  • Phone: +49 221-8275-3733

General questions, Exchange students, International guests

Department for Practical Training

Yildiz Yanboludan

Angewandte Sozialwissenschaften

  • Campus Südstadt
    Ubierring 48
    50678 Köln
  • Phone: +49 221-8275-3046

Internships abroad

Outgoings - Academic Study and Work Placement

A foreign assignment is always a valuable experience, that is why we want to support you in your undertaking.

On the homepage of the International Office you see a lot of information for initial orientation, for example:

  • Different ways to go abroad (e. g. Erasmus, freemover, academic study or work placement)
  • Financial support (e. g. DAAD, grants, student loans)
  • Application procedure

After this orientation, you will have to clarify questions related to the recognition of courses, partner institutions of the faculty, or other specific subjects. Then it is time to contact the faculty.

Academic study abroad

At a partner institution

The faculty has partner institutions in selected European countries. We cooperate with these institutions on the basis of an Erasmus + agreement, which allows an exchange at your chosen partner university.

The downloads provide a current list of these universities. There is a limited number of places available, so an application might be necessary.

At any university as a so called freemover

if your university of choice is not a partner of the faculty, you have the option to go as a “freemover“. In this case, you will have to organize the application and any financial support yourself. You can receive information on grants from the International Office or e. g. the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service).

To find a proper host university you can use the services of professional organisations such as or (both: information and advice free of charge)

You can check with the faculty if courses are recognised. You can also get advice on some existing contacts to or experience with other universities worldwide without a cooperation contract.

Selection of courses

It is important to confirm early if the courses or programmes you want to join can be recognized for your study curriculum. Before you leave, a learning agreement will be signed by you and both universities, in which the partners define the courses of possible recognition.

Language preparation

The SLZ offers courses in different foreign languages. To study abroad in a foreign country, good language skills are indispensable. As a trainee with direct contact to clients and employers the local language is extremely important. The universities usually inform on their homepages about the required language skills.

Work placement abroad

A work placement abroad is a good opportunity to combine interests such as contact with different cultures, the advancement of the study curriculum and personal development. It is important to coordinate your plans early with the Praxisreferat. You can receive advice about the conditions which have  to be completed to enable the recognition for your study curriculum.

Further the Praxiszentrum keeps a list of institutions abroad, where previous students passed their internship period. Outside the curriculum you can always complete a work placement as an additional experience in the spring or summer break. In addition to the Praxiszentrum you can contact the International Office. Here they advise about financial aid and possible student grants.

In Europe the Erasmus programme intervenes also for internships.