(895W20) Designing Academic Posters
Workshop for PhD students, 29. Januar 2020
Academic posters are a useful communication method to present your PhD project, engage people in fruitful discussions and gain new input for your research. To suit that purpose, a poster needs to be carefully de-signed, both from the contents‘ side and the visual appearance. During the workshop each participant will design his / her poster about his / her own PhD project.
Auf einen Blick
(895W20) Designing Academic PostersWorkshop for PhD students
- 29. Januar 2020
- 10.00 Uhr bis 18.00 Uhr
Kompetenzwerkstatt der TH Köln
1. Etage, Nordflügel
Dr. Susanne Berger
Die Anmeldung ist vom 02. September 2019, 10.00 Uhr bis zum 21. Januar 2020, 10.00 Uhr, möglich. Anmeldeformular
Beachten Sie, dass es im Anmeldeformular einige Pflichtfelder gibt, die von Promovierenden nicht ausgefüllt werden müssen.
Download für Kalender
Seminarstart in meinen Kalender übertragen 895W20 Designing Academic Posters Workshop for PhD students.ics (ics, 861 BYTE)
Mit diesem Formular können Sie sich abmelden.
Abmeldungen sind bis eine Woche vor Seminarbeginn möglich. Abmeldung von Seminaren der Kompetenzwerkstatt
By the end of the workshop, you will have:
- Participants know the typical elements / contents of an academic poster.
- They learn to extract and focus on the key messages from their projects. They are able to differentiate key points from by-standing information. They learn how to adapt their communication to their target audience. Thus, they can determine what contents at which level of detail / expertise should be on their poster and what can be skipped.
- They know how much information in words and visuals should be on a poster (information limit).
- They learn how to visually structure a poster with a grid.
- They are able to use graphic design to achieve a visual hierarchy, guide the viewer through the poster and give an overall aesthetically pleasing result.
- They know technical details such as how to save a poster for printing, required resolution of figures and file formats.
Academic posters are a useful communication method to present your PhD project, engage people in fruitful discussions and gain new input for your research. To suit that purpose, a poster needs to be carefully designed, both from the contents‘ side and the visual appearance.
Starting with the content, we will extract the key messages from your projects. All the way from the research question at hand, to the results and finally to the discussion and open questions. Keeping the target audience in mind, we will determine what should be on the poster and how we can communicate it efficiently.
With the aim in mind to reduce text to an absolute minimum, we will focus next on the visuals that should go on the poster. These can include photographs, maps, schematic drawings, diagrams or other data visualizations.
Having determined the contents, we will address the graphic design both of the individual visuals as well as of the poster as a whole. You will learn how to use a grid and white space, choose colors, fonts and font sizes etc. to produce an aesthetically pleasing and effective poster.
During the workshop each participant will design his / her poster about his / her own PhD project. To get the most out of this workshop, participants are asked to bring graphs, figures (in print) and an abstract describing their projects. Poster drafts are welcome as well.
Lecture, individual -, partner- and group work
Evaluation note: In this seminar an evaluation will take place.