How to Apply to Cologne Prep Class
Cologne Prep Class is primarily designed for highly qualified international students whose secondary-school degrees do not qualify them for direct access to a Bachelor’s program at a German university but would have to visit a Studienkolleg instead.
Please note that our program only starts in September. The application deadline for 2017 has expired. New applications will not be accepted until spring 2018. The current application and programme information will be available on this page at the beginning of 2018. As a rule, the following documents must be submitted:
- application form
- two passport-size photos
- copy of your passport (only the pages with your picture and personal information)
- résumé in tabular form
- certified copy of an official German language certificate of level B1 (CEFR). The certificate must be no older than two years. A certificate of participation in a German language course is not sufficient.
- certified copy of your secondary-school certificate and, if applicable, a university entrance exam certificate of your home country (in original language and translation, both certified)
- certified university transcript of records from your home country, if applicable (in original language and translation, both certified)
- applicants from China, Mongolia and Vietnam: APS Certificate as original document
- German-language letter of motivation of two DIN A4 pages at most. In this letter, please express the motivation for your desire to take part in Cologne Prep Class and explain the choice of your intended specialization. Also please state as to why you will graduate successfully and what constitutes your motivation for achieving good academic results
To make your application more convincing, you may submit the following additional documents with your application:
- German language certificate on a B2-level or higher
- proof of English language proficiency - solely relevant for the specialization in economics
- distinction or awards for outstanding academic performance (no sports certificate)
- proof of previous internships or practical experience relating to your desired program
- proof of voluntary activities
Important information on the translation and certification of documents
- All certificates must be submitted as certified copies. Please refer to the information guide in the download box for all vital information on the certification of your documents.
- All documents not issued in the English language must be translated into German by a sworn translator.
- Apart from certified copies of the translations, you are required to submit certified copies of the documents in their original language as well.
Please note that we can only consider complete applications submitted prior to the end of the application deadline.
Information on the certification of documents
Authorities permitted to bear an official seal may certify copies of your original documents. These authorities include city halls, embassies, notaries and churches organized as corporations under public law. Lawyers, health insurance companies and translators are not permitted to do so. Translators may only certify copies of translations they prepared themselves.
The International Office of TH Köln awards tuition-fee scholarship to selected students of Cologne Prep Class. The primary objective of this scholarship is to enable highly qualified and motivated applicants the free-of-charge participation in Cologne Prep Class.
Should you wish to be considered for a scholarship to cover your tuition fees, please also submit the following document in its original version or as a certified copy:
- letter of recommendation from a teacher, professor or lecturer either from your (language) school or university. This referee should have taught you for a duration of at least one month. She/he is asked to explain in which environment you worked together, how long she/he taught you and give a statement on your academic performance and progress as well as your social skills.
Scholarship for refugees
The International Office awards course fee waiver scholarships for refugees paid for by funds from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, provided by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). In case you want to take part in the selection process for the course fee waiver scholarship, please apply by June 1 with the documents listed above including a letter of reference. Additionally, please provide proof of your refugee status by handing in a copy of the respective document from the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.
Please note that a scholarship and a place in the Cologne Prep Class cannot be guaranteed.