German Course for Refugees
Intensive Course German as a foreign language B1.1 – B2.1
The intensive course has been designed for refugees who want to study at a German university and whose secondary school leaving certificate is recognized as Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung – HZB) in Germany.
In the intensive course “German as a foreign language”, refugees eligible to study in Germany will develop university-specific language skills which will enable them to efficiently prepare for a degree program at a German university.
Participants will complete three language levels (B1.1, B1.2, B2.1) within four to five months. Classroom teaching will be supplemented by language-learning counselling and self-study components including digitally assisted language learning.
After successful completion of the intensive course, participants may be admitted to the
DSH preparation course [GERMAN].
- winter semester 2017/18: October 12, 2017 - February 14, 2018
(daily classes, 24 hours of instruction per week)
1. Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung – HZB) recognized in Germany
2. Residence Status:
- Personen mit BÜMA/Ankunftsnachweis (Meldung des Asylgesuchs vor Antragstellung gem. §63aAsylG)
- Asylbewerber*innen (Laufendes Verfahren – Aufenthaltsgestattung gem. §55 AsylVfG)
- Geduldete (Vorübergehende Aussetzung der Abschiebung - Duldung gem. §60a AufenthG)
- Asylberechtigte gem. Art. 16a GG/ GFK (Aufenthalt gem. §25 Abs. 1 AufenthG)
- Anerkannte Flüchtlinge gem. § 3 AsylVfG (Aufenthalt gem. §25 Abs.2 S.1/1. AufenthG)
- Subsidiär Schutzberechtigte gem. § 4 AsylVfG (Aufenthalt gem. §25 Abs.2 S.1/2. AufenthG)
- Personen mit Abschiebeschutz gem. § 60 Abs. 5 und 7 AufenthG (Aufenthalt gem. §25 Abs.3 AufenthG)
3. German language level A2
4. Willingness to attend classes regularly
The course is funded by the Ministry of Innovation, Science and Research of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and by TH Köln.
Application Process and Deadlines
The application is submitted to uni-assist .
A German language level A2 is required for the application.
Extended Application Deadline (winter semester 2017/18)
- July 31, 2017 -
Applications received after July 31, 2017 will not be accepted. Please apply in time with all the relevant documents.
Click here for information on how to submit your application.
Further dates for the Admission and Enrollment Procedure
After submitting your application, you will receive an invitation to the information event, the placement test and the interview.
Dates for the winter semester 2017/18:
- Information Event: September 13, 2017
- Placement Test: September 15, 2017
- Interviews: September 20 - 27, 2017
Admission and Enrollment
The maximum number of participants is 50. Submission of an application form does not guarantee a place in the course. Places will be assigned according to the following criteria:
- Order in which applications are received
- Evaluation of submitted documents by uni-assist, placement test and interview
Please note that all dates are subject to change.