DSH Preparation Courses
The study preparation course for German is aimed at international students whose secondary school leaving certificate is recognized as Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung – HZB) in Germany and who already have good language skills but still need some improvement in order to begin a course of study at our university. For refugees who are interested in this course program, please see the specific information below under “Specific information for refugees”.
Please note: The DSH preparation course is not a course for beginners. To apply for this course you have to have completed the language level B2.
Course duration and dates
At the beginning of the course you will take the mandatory online placement test onset-Deutsch. This test measures with high accuracy the overall language competency in a standardized procedure.
Based on the result of your placement test, you are assigned to one of the two preparation courses:
- DSH preparation course 300 (300 lessons in 15 weeks)
- DSH preparation course 500 (500 lessons in 25 weeks)
You will be informed about the duration of your course a few days after the placement test.
The amount of the course fee depends on the course you are assigned to:
DSH preparation course 300 (15 weeks), DSH in June: € 730 (+tuition of approximately € 270)
The DSH exam at the end of the course is included in the course fee.
DSH preparation course 500 (25 weeks), DSH in September: € 1125 (+tuition of approximately € 270)
The DSH exam at the end of the course is included in the course fee. The minimum number of participants is 11.
After you have enrolled at TH Köln you will receive a payment notification for tuition and the course fee. First, you will only have to pay a course fee of € 730.
If you are placed in the DSH preparation course 500 you are required to pay the remaining € 395 within 14 days. (This amount comprises the course fee of € 1,125 for the DSH preparation course 500 minus the amount of € 730 which is payed after enrollment.)
Application process and deadlines
The application process takes place via uni-assist.
- summer semester: January 2*
- winter semester: July 1*
* If the deadline expires on a Sunday or a public holiday, the date of expiry is effectively extended until the first following working day.
Applications received after this date cannot be accepted. Please apply in time with all the relevant documents.
In your application you have to provide a secondary school leaving certificate which is recognized as Higher Education Entrance Qualification (Hochschulzugangsberechtigung – HZB) in Germany as well as one of the following certificates to prove your German language skills:
- A certificate that states that you have completed level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- A certificate that states that you have completed “Mittelstufe II”
A certificate of attendance is not sufficient proof.
Allocation of course places
Please note: There is a limited number of course places for our DSH preparatory course.
You are admitted to the DSH preparation course for only one semester. After that you (must) take the DSH. A place in the DSH preparation course does not guarantee that you will later be admitted to a course of studies at TH Köln. After passing the DSH you will have to apply again to enroll in your chosen course of studies.
There is no entitlement to admission to the DSH preparation course.
Specific information for refugees
- The application process takes place via uni-assist. Refugees who apply for the winter semester 2019/20 may be exempted from paying the fee for the application via uni-assist. For further information please go to: Study preparation and admission for refugees
- There is a limited number of free course places for refugees. They are supported by the DAAD and funded by the Ministry for Culture and Science of NRW (Ministerium für Kultur und Wissenschaft des Landes NRW), the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (Bundesminsterium für Bildung und Forschung) and the TH Köln. The entire course costs are covered by the participation fee. Travel costs as well as maintenance and living costs are to be paid by the participants themselves.
- If you have further questions regarding the application and financing, please contact Ms Elin Petersson (firstname.lastname@example.org).