Cologne Prep Class
TH Köln offers its very own preparatory class for international students who intend to enroll in a Bachelor’s program in engineering, economics or social sciences – the Cologne Prep Class.
You want to prepare for the Feststellungsprüfung (university entrance exam) because you do not have a direct access to the German university system? You are interested in a Bachelor’s program in economics, business administration, social sciences or engineering? Cologne Prep Class might be your admission ticket to a German university.
Cologne Prep Class is primarily designed for highly qualified international students whose secondary-school degrees do not qualify them for direct access to a Bachelor’s program at a German university but would have to visit a Studienkolleg instead.
You do already have a direct access to the German university system but you think you might need a little extra preparation before you start your Bachelor’s program? You are also welcome to apply.
Our courses start on September 1st every year and run until June 30th the next year. Studying at Cologne Prep Class provides you with a solid academic foundation in the individual disciplines of economics and engineering. You will be taught in the subjects Mathematics and English as well as economics or Physics and Chemistry depending on the focus area of your choice. Apart from the specialized subjects German lessons play a major role in which your elementary skills will be brought to the required level for university entrance. Highly qualified and experienced lecturers and an inspirational atmosphere prepare you for the Feststellungsprüfung (university entrance exam).
- all-around support and advice to help you settle in Cologne: assistance with finding a place to live and dealing with German bureaucracy
- orientation week for a best possible start
- Feststellungsprüfung (university entrance exam) at TH Köln conducted by Prep Class lecturers
- preferential treatment when applying for a Bachelor's program at TH Köln
- assisted transition into university studies
- eligibility to study at universities and universities of applied sciences in all of Germany
What’s included in my tuition fee?
- 34 units of instruction á 45 minutes per week
- semester fees at TH Köln of approximately 250 euros for each of the two semesters
- student-ID card (MultiCa)
- North-Rhine Westphalia transportation ticket for free-of-charge use of the public transportation system throughout the state
- intercultural workshops
- company visit (e.g. Ford plant)
- participation in the university entrance exam
- graduation ceremony
For Cologne Prep Class tuition fees of 6,000 euros incur. Students are required to pay the entire amount prior to the beginning of the course. The monthly living expenses for students living in Cologne amount to around 850 euros. Depending on the neighborhood you live in and your personal preferences, these costs may vary quite strongly.
CPC graduates answering questions about their degree programs (Image: International Office/TH Köln)
Prep Class graduates at the International Office's summer fair, June 2011 (Image: International Office/FH Köln)
Prof. Dr. Sylvia Heuchemer, vice president of TH Köln, welcomes the first Cologne Prep Class. (Image: International Office/FH Köln)