You would like to attend a semester course in German as a Foreign Language, English, French, Italian or Spanish? Please note that you have to take a placement test before you can register for courses at the Language Learning Center.
Dates and online registration
If you have missed the regular placement tests for the winter semester 2017, please sign up here for the additional test offered on October 9, 2017.
Please choose a test date from the chart and fill in the registration form. Registration closes on October 8, 2017.
|Thu, October 19, 2017, 11:00 am, Campus Deutz, Hörsaal 13 (Lecture Hall 13)
- For students of Faculty 10 (Computer Science and Engineering Science) only -
No placement test required?
You do not have to take a placement test if you ...
- have done a placement test at the Language Learning Center in the preceding semester,
- have successfully completed a language course at the Language Learning Center within the past two years,
- want to register for one of our courses A1 French, A1 Italian or A1 Spanish and have no prior knowledge of these languages,
- can submit a certificate as proof that you have passed a language examination on a specified CEFR-level within the past two years. A scan of this certificate has to be sent to
email@example.com before the date of the first placement test.
Please note that school-leaving certificates / high school diplomas such as the German ‘Abitur’ or ‘Fachabitur’ cannot be accepted as certification of a language level.
Test formats and duration
Placement Test German as a Foreign Language: The test consists of gapped texts with increasing levels of difficulty and a writing task. The maximum time for the test is 60 minutes.
Placement Tests English / French / Italian: These tests comprise language and vocabulary, reading comprehension and writing tasks. There are multiple choice and cloze tasks as well as an open text production task. The maximum time for the test is 60 minutes.
Placement Test Spanish: The test consists of a so-called c-test of six short texts with an increasing level of difficulty. These texts contain gaps which provide beginnings of words to be completed by the candidates. The answers have to be correct in terms of meaning, grammar and orthography. In addition, candidates have to do a writing task. The maximum time for the test is 60 minutes.
After the test
A few days after the test you will receive an e-mail in which we let you know for which course(s) you have been placed. You can then register for these courses online during the registration period.
As a general rule, we cannot certify placement test results.