Academic Document Review at TH Köln
When applying to a Bachelor’s program with restricted admission at TH Köln, certain groups of applicants need to submit their academic documents for review at TH Köln.
Who needs the Academic Document Review at TH Köln?
The following groups of applicants need to submit an application for the academic document review at TH Köln when applying to a Bachelor’s program with restricted admission:
- German citizens
- Applicants from EU or EEA member state and
- their spouses
who obtained their Higher Education Entrance Qualification (including Studienkolleg) outside of Germany
- other international applicants who obtained their Higher Education Entrance Qualification within the EU/EEA.
If you do not belong to one of the groups mentioned above or if you would like to apply to a different program, please find detailed information at Degree Seeking Students.
If you are applying to more than one program at TH Köln, please note that you might have to submit your applications in different ways, depending on the respective program and its application process.
Application process and deadlines
1) Apply for the academic document review at TH Köln. The review process starts in August for applications for the summer semester and in February for applications for the winter semester.
We recommend submitting the application as early as possible as you will then have time to submit missing documents. If you fail to submit all required documents by the end of the application deadline, your application cannot be considered.
2) Register via hochschulstart.de and receive your applicant ID (BID) and your applicant authentication number (BAN).
3) Having received BID and BAN, you can apply at the TH Köln online application platform by the end of the application deadline.
Application deadlines (cut-off period) for Bachelor’s programs with restricted admission are
- January 15 for the summer semester
- July 15 for the winter semester (Exception in the winter semester 20/21: The application deadline is August 20, 2020)
Relevant is the date of receipt at TH Köln, not the date of the postmark. Only complete applications will be considered.
TH Köln’s online application platform
Before being able to fill in your data, an account has to be created. Which data you need to submit, especially in terms of your grade and the date of your Higher Education Entrance Qualification, will be explained in the portal when being logged in.
You can save the data submitted and log out from the portal so that it is possible to edit your application in several steps without losing data already submitted.
The portal should open at the beginning of December for summer semester applications and at the beginning of May for winter semester applications.
Academic document review at TH Köln
Your application can only be considered if your Higher Education Entrance Qualification has been officially recognized. This can be done in two ways:
1. If you have already had your documents reviewed by TH Köln, uni-assist, a different German university or an official certification institution, it is sufficient for you to send the results of this document review by postal mail to TH Köln by the application deadline. Please enclose the form 'Application for an Academic Document Review at TH Köln'.
2. If you have not had your documents recognized by one of the above mentioned institutions yet, please submit an Application for an Academic Document Review at TH Köln by the application deadline. If you have already submitted an application through our online application platform, please state your application number on the application form (available for download on this page). Please make sure to regularly check your emails since we will contact you by email in case of questions or missing documents. Please include all documents required to determine whether you hold a Higher Education Entrance Qualification:
- foreign secondary school diploma
- additional documentation on your past education (if applicable), such as transcripts of records from a foreign university, certificate of a university entrance examination, certificates from a Studienkolleg (perparatory class) and certificate on the Feststellungsprüfung
- marriage certificate confirming that you are married to an EU/EEA citizen (if applicable)
- Proof of change of name (name change certificate or marriage certificate)
Please submit officially certified copies.
When reviewing your academic documents, TH Köln strictly follows the binding regulations of the 'Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen' (Central Office for Foreign Education – ZAB) in order to determine if your secondary education is equivalent to a German Abitur or Fachhochschulreife. The external website linked above also provides additional information on required documents (please select 'Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang' in the left-hand navigation. Please note that most information on this website is only available in German). If your academic documents are recognized, your final grade will be converted into the German grading system and the date of your Higher Education Entrance Qualification will be determined.
If your documents are issued in a language other than German or English, please submit a German translation by an officially recognized translator in addition to the certified copies of the original documents. Please note that documents such as proof of language proficiency, internship certificates etc. are not required at this time. Please present these documents at the time of enrollment.
You will receive the results of the document review by postal mail. We will automatically adjust the grade and date of your Higher Education Entrance Qualification in your online application. Should the result be that you do not meet the admission requirements of the program you want to apply to, your application can unfortunately not be considered.